Summer Pest Control Tips: Dos and Don’ts
Summer officially ends September 23rd, but that doesn’t quite mean pest season is over. In fact, for some pests— like ants, spiders, and cockroaches— it’s peak season! You may be wondering what you can do to prevent these these troublesome summer pest from getting inside your home?
Here is a list of Dos and Don’ts to keep those summer pests out!
Why Pest Prevention Is So Important
Pest infestations are best avoided by prevention. Prevention reduces the risk of an infestation and lessens the need for pest control treatments. This helps reduce the amount spent on pest control. In addition, pest prevention reduces the risk of running into cockroaches, ants, and poisonous spiders, which can potentially cause damage to your health and home.
Summer Pest Control Dos
Sometimes a pest infestation is just a simple stroke of bad luck, but you can actually avoid quite a few pests by being proactive with your pest control.
- A well-maintained lawn and a garden are important to prevent mosquitoes, fleas, ticks, and other pests. Make sure you mow your lawn regularly and pull out all weeds that are growing around the sides of your home.
- If you want to prevent nasty pests from entering your home, make sure to check all possible entry points and seal them properly and completely.
- Research what you’re planting in your garden. Some plants will attract certain types of pests, and there are other types of plants to help keep pests away.
- Remove all sources of standing water from your yard, including pet dishes, empty containers, or anything else that can collect water since that’s a suitable environment for mosquito breeding.
- Keep your house clean and store food in sealed containers.
- Clean your gutters regularly.
- For any pests that you are having problems with, learn all you can about them and the options you have to control them.
- If you are facing an infestation, contact a pest control professional. Dealing with an entire colony of insects inside and/or around your home on your own is no easy task and is usually best left to the pros.
Summer Pest Control Don’ts
Typically, people will think they can handle any pest problem that arises on their own. While it can be true if they are only showing up in small numbers, an infestation is likely to be out of your league.
- Don’t try to handle a pest infestation on your own. It can be dangerous and inefficient since you’re not trained to do it, and sometimes it can make the problem even worse. Professionals have vast knowledge and experience, so leave the pest infestations to them.
- Don’t let garbage compile. This attracts pests like cockroaches, ants, rodents, and mosquitoes.
- Another bad idea is to leave sprinklers to spray directly toward the foundation of your home.
- Many chemicals intended for outdoor use are dangerous to use inside since they contain toxins in greater concentrations.
- Store pesticides in original containers and don’t transfer them.
- If you discover a bee or wasp nest in or around your home, we don’t recommend removing it on your own. Instead, you should contact a pest control professional who is trained to take care of the issue for you.
These summer pest control tips should help in preventing pest activity in and around your home during the summer months. If you suspect an infestation, contact our pest professionals at Dynasty Pest Control here or call (469) 358-1425. We are the leaders of quality pest control services in Dallas, TX with over 20 years of combined experience that can keep your summer pest free.